Department of Automobile Engineering
Automobile engineering, along with aerospace engineering and marine engineering, is a branch of vehicle engineering, incorporating elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, software and safety engineering as applied to the design, manufacture and operation of motorcycles, automobiles and trucks and their respective engineering subsystems. It also includes modification of vehicles. Manufacturing domain deals with the creation and assembling the whole parts of automobiles is also included in it. The automotive engineering field is research -intensive and involves direct application of mathematical models and formulas. The study of automotive engineering is to design, develop, fabricate, and testing vehicles or vehicle components from the concept stage to production stage. Production, development, and manufacturing are the three major functions in this field.
The INDIAN automotive industry is the most dynamic and exciting one in the world right now and biggest reason is the consumer base. Our population is so diverse in terms of age and taste and they have so many options now that it keeps evolving. Now coming to careers, the industry can be widely divided into 3 sectors, R&D, Manufacturing and Sales & Marketing. And I can promise you the options are pretty good. I have read a lot of answers here and I can tell you the people who are being pessimistic are quite wrong. We have world class manufacturing facilities. Just go and visit factories of Ford in Chennai and Chakan in Pune you will get a glimpse. Coming to R&D, this sector is pretty young and has come up recently in the last 15 years or so they are world class as well. Search for MRV Chennai which is the R&D Centre for Mahindra and also for Maruti Suzuki in Rothak. Sales and marketing is a place where WE INDIANS are the best in the world hands down, Hero is a classic example.
Vision: Create a centre of excellence in the field of Automobile Engineering through industrial and academic research by training the learners for acceptance the modern world.
Mission: To work with commitment and dedication for the improvement of quality teaching. To conduct the innovative research by addressing the needs of Automotive Industries and Society. To develop professional practices among the learners to encourage life long team work and leadership.
Program Outcomes (POs)
- Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO)
- Ability to apply Knowledge of Mathematics, Science and Automobile Engineering to the solution of complex Automotive Engineering problems.
- Ability to conduct study and experiments, and researches, perform tests, analyse test data to evolve new Mechanisms/Systems to solve Complex Automobile Problems.
- Ability to identify, formulate, investigate and synthesize information to solve Complex Engineering Problems.
News & Events
Technical Festival(TECH EXPO-2K16)4th, 5th, & 6th January 2016By Malabar Polytechnic College
Automobile Engineering Department has Participated in Technical Festival(TECH EXPO-2K16) Organised by Malabar Polytechnic College Cherpulassery, Palakkad on 4th, 5th, & 6th January 2016.
Six Automobile Engineering Projects have been exhibited in the TECH EXPO4th, 5th, & 6th January 2016By NCERC
Six Automobile Engineering Projects (1. MINI BACK HOE ,2.AUTOMOBILE PULSE BRAKING SYSTEM, 3. MULTI PURPOSE AGRO MACHINE, 4. ALL WHEEL STEER, 5. HANDS FREE AUTOMOBILE FOR PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED AND 6. INTELLIGENT REVERSE BRAKING SYSTEM) have been exhibited in the TECH EXPO.
Technical Festival(TECH EXPO-2K16)5th January 2016By NCERC
Two Final year Automobile Engineering students Mr. Abu Asad.M and Mr.Devanand.C.T along with Mr.Rejumon.R Asst.Prof. Automobile Engineering Department, NCERC have taken part in this Technical Festival on 5th January 2016 and explained the working Principles of those models to visitors at TECH EXPO
- Vehicle System Lab(AU 234)
- Auto Electrical Lab (AU 332)
- Autronics Lab (AU 431)
- Inauguration of seminar on ‘VEHICLE DIAGNOSIS’ at Aryabhatta seminar hall on 24th February 2016 organized by Automobile Engineering Association and SAE INDIA collegiate club at NCERC in association with M/s BOSCH India Ltd, Chennai.
- Mr.Kiran G Nair of Bosch India Ltd delivering lecture in the seminar. A total of 135 students from 2nd year, 3rd year and final year of Automobile Engineering have attended this seminar.